Fry up some falafel balls in Terra Delyssa extra virgin olive oil for a delicious and vegan-friendly snack!
Prep Time: 8 Hours
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 9 Hours
Diet Category: Vegetarian, Vegan
6 cups Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Dried Garbanzo Beans
1 cup Parsley, roughly chopped
2 large Garlic Cloves
1/2 cup Onion, diced
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
1 Lemon, zested & juiced
- The night before, add the dried garbanzo beans to a large bowl and cover with water. Cover and allow to soak overnight at room temperature or up to 24 hours. The next day, drain and rinse well.
- Add the soaked garbanzo beans to a food processor along with the remaining ingredients expect for the oil. Pulse to blend until combined but still coarse.
- Refrigerate the falafel mixture for 30 minutes.
- Add about 6 cups of Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a large Dutch oven or until it is filled about ¾ of the way then heat on high until it reaches about 350°F, then lower the heat to medium. You can add a small amount of the falafel mixture to test if the oil is hot, if there is a sizzle, the oil is ready.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the falafel batter and form into balls then place into a plate.
- Using a stainless-steel slotted spoon carefully add the falafel balls, one at a time, into the hot oil. Fry in batches, about 3-4 at a time until lightly browned, turning once or twice and making sure the falafel do not touch too much while frying. It should take anywhere from 5-7 minutes.
- Using the stainless-steel slotted spoon to place the friend falafel balls onto a plate with paper towel lined plate.
- Serve the falafel with hummus, tzatziki, fresh parsley and lemon wedges.