Pumpkin season is here and I am loving it in this Vegan Mac N Cheese recipe made with my favorite smooth flavor Extra Virgin Olive Oil by @terradelyssa! I am using it to caramelize my aromatics and to make the toasted breadcrumb topping! No need to turn on my oven for this stove-top mac n cheese.
By: Food by Jonister
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Diet Category: Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
4 Tablespoons Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
10 ounces Short Pasta
1/3 cup White Onion, finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
15-ounce Canned Pure Pumpkin Puree
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme, de-stemmed
1/2 cup Pasta Water
1 heaping cup Grated Vegan Cheese
1/3 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then add 1 Tablespoon of salt to the water. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al-dente, according to package instructions. Before draining the pasta, be sure to reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet on medium then add about 3 Tablespoons of Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the finely diced onion. Sautee for a minute then add the minced garlic. Stir and sautee for another minute then add the fresh thyme and sautee until fragrant, another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the pure pumpkin puree and stir to combine then add the cooked pasta, the reserved pasta water, salt and ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add vegan cheese, stir and lower the heat to low. Cook until cheese has fully melted.
- To make the toasted breadcrumbs, add breadcrumbs to a skillet with 1 Tablespoon of Terra Delyssa® Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Stir and allow to toast on medium heat until golden brown.
- To serve, add the pumpkin mac n cheese to a plate or bowl then top with the toasted breadcrumbs and garnish with more fresh thyme.